Caring for your jewellery
To help your jewellery be treasured for a lifetime, please:
- Store your jewellery away from exposure to air and the environment. A ziplock plastic bag is a very practical and cheap way to do this. This will be especially useful for silver jewellery, as it will cut down on tarnish significantly.
- Store your jewellery separately, so it doesn’t rub & scratch against each other.
- Do not store jewellery next to heating vents, windowsills or in the bathroom. Damp and hot conditions will cause the jewellery to tarnish badly.
- Skin and hair products can react, causing gold and silver to tarnish. Apply any scents or cosmetics before you put on your jewellery.
- Remove jewellery when exercising, cleaning, gardening or any other rough or physical work.
- Try not to wear it overnight.
Gold and Silver are susceptible to damage by chlorine and salt. Avoid wearing silver jewellery when using chlorine or bleach, or while in a pool or hot tub. Hot weather, bright sunlight and perspiration can also speed up the tarnishing process. Jewellery should always be taken off before the pool, shower, or sea.
A Silver 'Dip' solution is not recommended for our silver jewellery due to the oxidised effect we commonly use. The best way to clean our jewellery is with a soft brush and mild detergent followed by a rub with an anti-tarnish silver cloth (available to buy at most good jewellery or hardware shops).
If you need help at all with cleaning your jewellery, please pop it back to us to help restore it for you. Please just package your jewellery up safely in its original box or some other sturdy packaging and post to this address.
St. Columba Steadings
Isle of Iona
It's best to use Royal Mail Special Delivery to send your jewellery. Remember to enclose a return address, telephone number & email address as well as a cover note detailing the repair request. Please note that all repairs take approximately about 5 -7 days for completion.
If you have any questions about cleaning, repairing or restoring your jewellery’s oxidation patina please feel free to get in touch. You can reach us directly by phone +44 (0)1681-700121 or by e-mailing us.